Saturday, January 5, 2013

Chemistry





I'm enjoying a couple of weeks off from work, and it has been really really rejuvenating.  I have been pretty stressed out and burning out at work for a while now, and though I still love *where* I work, I feel less than confident in my current role. I've sustained a lot of injuries over the last twelve months, mostly while attempting to keep really traumatized little ones from hurting themselves or others.  But I power on, trying to keep myself healthy and muster enough energy to be as positive as possible with my students.  NOT easy.

In fact, I had to turn to my doctor for help in the form of medication -- yes, I'm now on an antidepressant.


Me, a "Qualified Mental Health Professional" with about 20 years' experience working with a challenging population of children with special needs.  Administering meds to most of those little ones every day.  Now taking one myself.  And it has helped me get through some really overwhelming and traumatizing times (yes, we adults can be traumatized, too).

So, here's to the makers of modern medicine, who help those who try to help others.  Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. I agree adults can get traumatized too (been there and I don't work with kids on a daily basis). We all need help sometime in our life. Our friends, family and loved ones can only help so much. I say, if it works, better living thru chemistry is the way to go. Just know that your friends, family and loved ones are always there for you. Love you bunches, my dear, dear friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for realizing you needed help and then getting it. Very important. When Dave was going through his second round of Cancer, I realized I needed help too. And it has definitely helped through tough times. Big big hugs to you, and as Laura said, we are always here for you. :)

    ReplyDelete